Sunday, December 27, 2015

Extension service with a heart



Serving the community is part of my personal advocacy and doing it as a part of my job is an endearing and enjoyable experience. When I started teaching full-time at the University of Southeastern Philippines (USeP) in June 2012, I was still adjusting from the corporate setting to the academic one (I was employed for more than 5 years in Davao Chamber and Chemonics International MABS-USAID Project). The dean of the School of Applied entrusted me the Extension Coordinator designation in August 2012. At first, I did not know how to handle it and I am not that confident that I could handle the job, given a lot activities that I will implement. There were a lot of challenges that come my way in serving as an Extension Coordinator. Its not easy to handle the pressure from my direct supervisors, the school and the university targets and accomplishments. Aside from that, I have a lot of sacrifices for my family, days intended for bonding, going to church are exchanged with travels and extension obligations. But I was able to compensate those lapses, because in every stormy weather, there is a rainbow in the end. After three years of serving as Extension Coordinator, the University of Southeastern Philippines (USeP) has recognized me as the "OUTSTANDING EXTENSION COORDINATOR FOR 2015" last December 18, 2015 at the USeP Gym. All of the tears, sweat and sacrifices financially and emotionally have paid off. This award will never be possible without the support of my students, faculty, admin support and barangay beneficiaries. Truly, the most priceless reward is when you see the community (that you have served ) are empowered to create a bigger "CHANGE" in the society and in the nation as a whole.



No comments:

Post a Comment