Monday, May 1, 2023

Fall 7, Stand 8

Source: https://eldorar.info/en/post/benefits-of-studying-abroad/

"Mabuhay! Welcome aboard the Philippine Airlines! This is Flight PR418 bound for Incheon.” 

As I heard the announcement while seated inside that plane, I said to myself, “This is it!!! Finally, I am going to study abroad!"

One of my long-time dreams is to study abroad. The dream was intensified when I worked for an NGO in 2007, where I saw my colleague seize the opportunity to study in Australia. When she finished the course and came home, she shared how the experience enriched her in many ways. Listening to her, I felt my eyes sparkling and my heart fluttering with the desire to study abroad.

At that time, it felt impossible for me to chase The Dream. There were more important priorities that I happily chose to pursue. I got married, had kids, and parked the idea of pursuing international studies with no regrets. But the desire never went away.

The great possibility came in 2012 when I became an instructor at a state university, where the faculty development program was a big priority and may include a golden ticket to a free Ph.D. course abroad! I only needed a tenure of 2 years, and then, wait for my turn to apply after the 3 instructors ahead of me were done, one at a time.

As they took their study leave one by one, I was given more administrative responsibilities and took on more leadership roles in their absence. I filled in for them one after the other. Those were stressful times in my career. I was overwhelmed by the tasks before me but I worked hard and set my eyes on the prize – a scholarship for a doctorate degree abroad.

Source: https://www.iimu.ac.in/blog/ultimate-guide-for-phd-students/

In 2019, I started working on my application papers. I knew that the process won’t be easy. Not only were the documents very exacting and time-consuming but I was always reminded by my coworkers who were back from their study leave abroad, of the intense competition among the many applicants. I knew my false lashes couldn’t clinch the deal; much less, scented stationery.

In that same year 2019, I applied to Australia for a master’s degree thinking that going for a lower level might give me a better chance of getting accepted. They said no thanks and I was more qualified for the doctorate degree. Duh!

The next year 2020, the pandemic started to shake and rattle our lives but also caused a delay in the selection of scholarships anywhere in the world. So, I tended to my plants.

In 2021, I applied to France and The Netherlands; but I think, they were not ready for me. Also, in the US, I tried 3 times, and each time, they were looking for someone, not me. So, I asked myself, “Am I the only one who thinks I’m good enough to pursue a doctorate abroad?” I didn’t answer. I prayed. I opened the Bible and came across Proverbs 16:3, which says, “Commit your work to the Lord and your plans will be established.” That led to my 7th application, which led to my 7th nonacceptance.

Source: https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/prayer/ways-we-can-learn-to-pray-confidently.html

By then, I’d grown resilient, less hurting, and more eager to do my best. I felt like the extraordinary Egyptian cotton: smoother, softer, and shinier with every washing.

Last year, 2022, I discovered the very best thing about South Korea, more than their maximally appealing drama series, pop songs, and idols. When most earthlings were fighting the crash landing of a pandemic in 2020, the South Korean government started a Ph.D. scholarship program for teachers from neighboring ASEAN universities.

 Kangwon National University, Chuncheon Campus, South Korea.
https://wwwk.kangwon.ac.kr/www/index.do

I felt something wonderfully different about it, so I focused, took pride in my work, and gave it my all, so much more than I did in all my previous applications. I went ahead and gave beyond the minimum requirements. I prayed more for good measure and in 2 months, I received the best news so far – Congratulations, you are shortlisted! In less than 3 months, I received the best news ever - Congratulations, you are fully accepted! That moment was incredibly exhilarating.

In the pursuit of my dream, I learned many lessons and one very strong realization. We may have many dreams, but when one dream stays with us through the years, waning and waxing with our life’s ups and downs, and yet continues to give our heart a thrill, we must pay attention and make that dream come true. The pursuit may not be rapid and rosy but with each failure or rejection, we learn more and we become better. I applied for a scholarship grant eight freaking times and received only 1 affirmative response. But I needed only 1.

Source: https://lifepalette.com/7697-2/

Had I given up after the 7th, I won’t be living my dream today! The pursuit of my dream is perfectly described by one of the most famous Japanese proverbs, nana korobi ya oki, which literally means fall 7 times, stand up 8

Source: http://mj-eikaiwa.com/wp/archives/547


No comments:

Post a Comment